Friday 8 February 2013

Friday Q & A - Debbie Patterson, our Playwright

Welcome to this week's edition of Friday Q & A!

This week we interview our Playwright and Sound Designer - Debbie Patterson!



1. Robert Munsch has a huge cannon of books, how do you go about choosing which stories will end up in the play?
I try to pick a mix of classic Munsch and newer releases. I think about the theme and try to find stories that fit. For Magical Mystery Munsch I tried to find the most magical and mysterious stories. I also try not to repeat the same stories too too much, although I do have my favourites.

2. How did you come up with Mr. Kite, Rose, Valerie and the Portal into Robert Munsch's brain? It's such a cool concept!
The obvious beginning was that I thought about a magical mystery tour and what that would be. Where would you go on a magical mystery tour? So the portal idea came first as a place one might go on a tour like that. Then I thought about Being John Malkovich and the portal into his brain and kind of liked that idea. At one point the story was more "magic schoolbus": we were going to shrink the theatre and actually drive up into Robert Munsch's brain through his nose, but that seemed kind of messy, so I left that one alone. 
In the first draft I tried really hard to give Mr. Kite a line about Rose and Valerie screaming from the gallery, but it didn't work.


3. Do you write any other kinds of plays?
I wrote a musical about Anne Boleyn called Head that will never get produced again because it's just too huge. And I've written plays for my family to perform in the fringe: Candy from a Baby and Molotov Circus. I'm working on a new play called Sargent & Victor that's all about urban decay and multiple sclerosis. 

4. What's your favourite Robert Munsch book and why?
I like the Paperbag Princess because she kicks butt!


Thanks Deb!



-Lisa, Stage Manager

No comments:

>