Friday 25 January 2013

Friday Q & A - The Cast

Welcome to "Friday Q & A"!


This week I've asked the cast a few questions:

Heather Russell - "Rose"
1. How did you get your start in acting?
I never expected to end up as an actor- my plan at 18 was to be a teacher.  It wasn’t until I was mostly done my four-year B.A. in French at Brandon University that I realized it was something I wanted to pursue (thanks the play Our Country’s Good, by Timberlake Whertenbaker).  I finished my degree, then moved to Winnipeg to go to the U of W.  I graduated in 2011 with an Honours B.A. in Acting, and I’ve been auditioning and creating ever since!

2. For you, how is preparing to play a character for a children's play differ from preparing for a role in a play for adults?
I don’t really prepare any differently, however every aspect of my character ends up being “bigger.” For the most part, you are what you are- not much subtext. You also have to consider that your audience is going to be a part of the show, almost like another character, so how will that affect you?

3. What is your favourite thing about playing "Rose"?
Rose is an overenthusiastic goofy gal! I love having the opportunity to connect with the kids and make them laugh. I also have a lot of fun with my friends, Mr. K and Valerie!

4. Do you have a job other than being an actor? If yes, what is it? If no, how'd you get to be so lucky?
Before I got this gig, I was a server at Stella’s on Sherbrook and a teacher at Manitoba Theatre for Young People. Munsch keeps me very busy, so I’m taking a break from both right now!

5. What are you most looking forward to while on tour?
Unloading and loading the van.



Gord Tanner - "Mr. Kite"
1. How did you get your start in acting?
At the University of Manitoba's Black Hole Theatre while I was purportedly working on my Master's degree in Biosystems Engineering.  One day I thought I was going to Peru to do my research,  and the next thing I knew, I was circus-folk.

2. For you, how is preparing to play a character for a children's play differ from preparing for a role in a play for adults?
Aside from the fact that there's less rolling in barrels required for most "grown up" plays?  Hmmm. [Once there was a sentence here that said some blah blah thing about children's theatre vs. adult theatre which was *so* pretentious, it could not sustain it's own existence, and so disappeared.]

3. What is your favourite thing about playing "Mr. Kite"?
Mr. Kite is an amalgamation of every bumbling cartoon villain of my childhood, who has a moment of enlightenment before the end.  And so I get to both twirl my moustache, *and* have a happy ending.  It's pretty sweet.  Also, I roll in a barrel.  Also, Mud Puddle.  Pretty sweet.  

4. Do you have a job other than being an actor? If yes, what is it? If no, how'd you get to be so lucky?
No other job. However, as an actor, I do work in three different media: stage, film/tv, and voice.  If it's truly luck, it can't be explained.  If not, I'd say it's my stubborn refusal to accept the inevitability of my own rejection.  Did I mention that I roll in a barrel?

5. What are you most looking forward to while on tour?
9 am in Gillam.  It will be epic.


Alissa Watson - "Valerie"
1. How did you get your start in acting?
I was lucky to have some really fantastic teachers in grade school.  Some of them were expert storytellers and others were wonderful at creating hilarious characters and they helped peak my interest in acting. (I also had a drama teacher for a mother that liked to “direct” me at home!)  Then, I studied theatre in university and began producing my own work for the Winnipeg Fringe Festival.  I have continued to study theatre at a lot of different places; as close as Prairie Theatre Exchange in Winnipeg and as far as London, England!  All of these moments and experiences have helped me get my start in acting.  However, as an emerging artist, new moments like this one - right now, right this moment - being a part of the wonderful world of Munsch at PTE is another chapter in the story of my “start”!

2. For you, how is preparing to play a character for a children's play differ from preparing for a role in a play for adults?
I do the same things to prepare for a children’s play, as I would to prepare for a show with an adult audience.  I still have to research the world of the play, I need to create a backstory for my characters and find out what their lives are like, I have to identify what my objectives or goals are in the play, etc.  However, what does change is the way I interact with the audience and often the style of the play will influence this.  To me, a lot of children’s theatre is very similar to clown.  In the style of clown, there is no “4th wall” which means your audience is right along for the ride with you.  Often a character will talk directly to the audience and their relationship with the audience will change depending on the scene; the audience may represent a friend, a parent, a judge, whatever best connects them.  Acting in a children’s play is usually very physical and the characters are often exaggerated so I have to make sure to take care of my body and stretch well before performing.  ALSO, when working on a children’s play, I work on making silly faces and voices because I know kids love them!   

3. What is your favourite thing about playing "Valerie"?
I really love Valerie’s sense of adventure but if I had to pick, one of my favorite things about playing Valerie is ALSO getting to play all her other crazy characters in the Munsch stories.  When Mr. Kite, Valerie and Rose go through the portal into Robert Munsch’s brain, I think there is a unique reason why the brain chooses Valerie to play the characters she does.  To me, each character that Valerie plays in the Munsch stories represents a different piece of her personality or life.  For example, I think Valerie plays Robin in Murmel, Murmel, Murmelbecause of her independence and her connection to Rose as a “big sister”.  It has been really fun to explore Valerie in this special way!

4. Do you have a job other than being an actor? If yes, what is it? If no, how'd you get to be so lucky?
When I am not on stage I am a teacher!  I started my career at Heritage School in Winnipeg, teaching kindergarten to grade 5 music.  I have also taught middle and senior years band and drama, as well as various elementary classroom positions.  Over the last few years, I have been really lucky to teach kids some classes at Prairie Theatre Exchange and Manitoba Theatre for Young People too.  Having the flexibility to do auditions and rehearsals means I can’t have a full-time teaching position right now, so I work as a substitute teacher for many school divisions in the city.  It is true that my pursuit of acting would not be feasible if I didn’t also work several odd jobs - yes, sometimes serving - to “pay the bills”, as they say!

5. What are you most looking forward to while on tour?
I am very much looking forward to:
Getting to know my three fabulous company members better.  Learning how to blog.  Trying out life on the road.  Laughing….LOTS!  Exploring the province of Manitoba; especially the northern communities!  Settlers of Catan?


Thanks guys!

-Lisa, Stage Manager

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting! Please tell us about the questions the students ask you, and what your answers are.

>